Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sass's Sunday Salvation Show

What a crazy weekend!  They all seem to be anymore.  We run, run, run - try to get everything imaginable done and feel like we never get a moment to sit down and just appreciate life.  Although.......on Saturday, (before I got serious about scraping and sanding adhesive) I actually downloaded and read a whole book on my Kindle.  I lurched out of bed momentarily to use the bathroom, then lurched right back to crack the book and get rolling.  I read it straight through in one sitting.  Now, that's something I have done many, many times, but it feels like it's been a while.  

I want to recommend the book to you.  It's called On the Island by Tracy Garvis-Graves.  It's her first book, but it's extremely well-written, and right now, it's a huge bargain for Kindle users - only $2.99 (regularly $11.99), delivered wirelessly.  Now, you can see, off to the right there, that I'm an Amazon associate, but I don't get a thing for promoting this book - unless, I guess, you decided to click through that ad on the right to order it.  Do that, if you're feeling generous.  I really just want to bring this book to your attention.  It's that good.  A synopsis:  Anna, a 30-year-old schoolteacher, takes a summer tutoring position with a family whose almost-17-year-old son has recently gone into remission from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  The teacher and her student are scheduled to fly a little charter flight into the Maldives Islands to join his family when their pilot has a heart attack, and their plane crashes into the ocean.  They manage to make it to a deserted island, and there they are.  The rest of the story focuses on  their growing relationship. 


 Now, don't get ahead of yourself, imagining that it's a weirdo 'Mary Kay LaTourneau' kind of relationship.  The author dealt with the age difference in a really smart and respectful way.  I really enjoyed the story, and, although it's fiction, it rang true. 

Let's talk about my favorite links from last week.  Actually, there were two (What can I say? - it's a tie!):

The first was from Katie at The Crafty Blog Stalker whose Anthro-inspired necklace is bound to get her lots and lots of attention.  Isn't it cute?


Nextly.... (I just made a word up for you.  You are welcome to use it if you like.  Nextly.  Nextly.).... I have to tell you that it's been years, but when I was a kid, my mom made a killer chocolate sheet cake.  She baked it on a cookie sheet, and frosted it up in lovely chocolateyness.  (More new words, apparently.  Help yourself.)  And so did Alexandra at Talking Dollars and Cents:


Try not to drool on your screen!

For these two lovely and creative bloggers, my 'Featured' Button:
Sassafras Salvation

Time for this week's Salvation Show.  First, a few rules:
 

Share something you've done recently.  Take a moment to look at and comment on someone else's link - we're all in this together!  Please consider becoming a follower of Sassafras Salvation and take a Sunday Salvation Show button to remind yourself and others to come back again and again!

Sassafras Salvation

5 comments:

  1. ooh I always love book recommendations are you on goodreads? if so we should be friends

    marissa
    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for featuring my necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the party, Kathy.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the book to my list, Kathy. I love to read! And great features. Love that necklace and sheet cake! I haven't had that in so long! Yum!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...