Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Bathroom Medicine Cabinet

Oh, here I am!  I'm back.  Hope you actually missed me - I sure missed all of you, although I had little time to do anything about it.  

So, yes, I'm sure you know by now that MMM and I are man and wife!  We're very happy and grateful to have found each other.  Soon, I'll be sharing an album of pictures from our wedding.  You lovely folks have walked with me throughout the preparations, Saturday by Saturday.  I'm sure you'll want to see it all tied up in a sweet little package.

One of the projects we squeezed into our schedule was the redecoration of the bathroom.  MMMom is moving into her apartment little by little, but the first room she completely cleared out was the bathroom.  I've been working on it for a couple of months, one project at a time.

Just to refresh your memory, here's a shot or two of the 'before'.  (I accidentally deleted many of the pictures I took of the before, so please forgive the poor quality.)  Yup, there's the knotty pine beadboard, the buffalo check shower curtain, the dark walnut laminate cabinet and the hideous 70s blue linoleum.  We were operating on a pretty tight budget, so we kept all the fixtures.  The sinks, toilets, tub and surround, cabinets  - they all stayed.  Even thought the sinks and the tub are blue, I had to find a way to work with them.

 

Because of the picture losing fiasco, I don't have a proper 'before' picture of the entire frame around the medicine cabinet.  You'll have to use your imagination.  The medicine cabinet is large -rhree large mirrored sections with shallow cabinets behind.  There's lots of storage, so I was happy to keep them, but the frame was floral scrollwork in dirty white.  Apparently, the original frame was a burnished gold color, but someone repainted some years ago, and it just was not the right color for a much-used bathroom.

You can about imagine how those little crevices caught dust and started to look dingy. The mirror was mounted on screw assemblies to the cabinet.  I just unscrewed it, removing the mirrors VERY carefully - how awful it would have been to break one! - and took the frame off it.  I always keep ziploc bags handy to hold all the little bits of hardware.  It's easy to label them that way, too.


I got out my trusty can of Rustoleum's Oil-Rubbed Bronze.  The folks at Rustoleum must be working double shifts in the paint factory to churn out enough of this stuff to satisfy demand.  I don't know what I'd do without it.  It's lovely to work with - lovely to look at.

Here's a few little in-progress shots:


 



And - mounted back on the wall.  There's a teeny glimpse in the mirror of more to come!  Stay tuned!

Hugs,

Kathy



1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Can't wait to see your wedding pictures! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...