Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday Sneak Peek - The Guestbook!

I thought I had a plan.  I had found a plastic canvas book cover with a spot to insert a picture and some potential.  Admittedly, not a lot, but I figured I could work with it.  But I have to say, I wasn't much inspired.  Plastic canvas is so.....80's, and even then, never really found its way out of "old lady crafts".  And this was peach yarn in plastic canvas.  But I figured - what the heck - it's a guestbook.

Then one day, on the phone, MMM said to me, "I've been meaning to talk to you about that.  I mean, is that really 'you'?"  As in, is that reflective of your style?  Really?  And, of course the answer was no.  I found the thing at thrift - remember that's my watchword - everything about this wedding has to be thrifted or homemade, within reason.  Thrift?  Check!  Will it suffice?  Check!  Wait, wait!  SUFFICE?  This is our wedding.  Do I want stuff to just suffice, or do I want it to be special and memorable?  Duh.


Then MMM said something inspirational (and you might think this is no big inspiration, but sometimes I just need a little push to get my brain cells to line up in a row).  He said, "Why don't you just carve up some old book?"  By that, he meant - tear the pages out and replace them with blanks.  But then my brain cells lined up, and I could hardly wait to go to the Good Samaritan.

I dug through their shelves of antique books until I found just the right one.  It's an old school book about the journeys of Lewis and Clark.  It was the right color and size, and it was just $0.75!  Actually, I felt a little sad about what I was about to do, but now that it's done?  No regrets!  And look at the title.


If that's not apropos for a couple about to take the leap, I don't know what is!  LOL!

I traced a rectangle on the opening page of the book, and then used an exacto knife to just slice that rectangle down through all the pages.  I probably should have glued all the outside edges first, so that they wouldn't slip and slide as I was cutting.  Oh, well, you live and you learn.  I used Mod Podge to glue all those outside edges after I finished the interior box, clamping the pages so that they dried tightly together.  


I bought scrapbook paper to match the turquoise of the wedding doilies, and cut pieces to fit the inside.  Before I glued in the one in the bottom of the box, I added a script-y 'P', for my soon-to-be surname.


 The front of the book has this cool stylized bison, which has no particular significance, but I do really like it.  It adds a certain charm.


Below that, there was a perfect space for our names, so I added them with a Sharpie.  Here's your chance to note that My Montana Man has an actual first name.  A nice, manly one. 


I drilled through the cover, attached a faucet handle, and added a braided length of the same turquoise crochet thread I used for all those doilies.  I simply used hot glue to attach it to the back of the book, then added a flat orange button to disguise it a bit.


Lastly, at thrift, I bought a never-opened package of scrapbook pages.  These were the old kind - before everyone and their dog took up scrapbooking.  This is heavy old paper, and I liked the way my cutter cut through it - kind of leaving a sort of deckled edge on each of the 3 x 4 1/2" cards.  I added an embellishment to each card.  Folks can leave us a wish or a blessing for our marriage and sign the card.  I made enough so that each individual wedding guest can do that.  


After we're married, I can open this guestbook and see all the lovely things folks wrote and remember the day as we live out our own highest wishes.


Do you like my guestbook?  I think it's special.  And like MMM said, it really is 'me'.

Love,

Sass

19 comments:

  1. Great job! I love that you are saving one lovely item at a time and I am your newest follower.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome guest book. I think it would work for a Baby Shower too. I'll be adding this to my Pinterest boards. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever! I would have never thought to do that! Just found your blog last week and am checking it daily to see how you are doing on wedding arrangements/plans. Cute, cute ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this idea! Very fun and clever. You'll cherish this for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Mind if I reblog this? I'll definitely pingback to your site. It's a great idea and my goal in my wedding blog is to post DIY ideas and come up with ways to save money in the wonderful wedding process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fab! I am totally pinning it. thanks for sharing your creativity with us. I hope to see you at the party this week!

    have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    to-sew-with-love.com
    tocookwithlove.com
    villaportillo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...