Monday, September 5, 2011

I Have a Dream

OK, so I 'borrowed' that phrase.  I don't think he'll mind.  I DO have a dream.  I got to thinking about how important it is that you believe in your dream, but also about how important it is that someone else supports you in your dreaming.  I am fortunate indeed to have just such a someone in my life. 

MMM and I have been together for only about eighteen months.  We actually 'met' on a dating website, then went out for a cup of tea together.  Sometime I'll tell you more about our courtship, but what I do know is that I was blessed to find him.  I hope he feels the same way.  One of the greatest blessings of our relationship is that he supports my dream.  And not just in a small way.  I need to back up a bit.  I have been single for most of my life.  I have never had the means to do much more than just get by, and that includes my home.  I live in a 950 square foot two bedroom, two bath condo with a storage room.  There's no real work space.  My yard is shared.  It's not difficult to imagine how quickly I'd tick off my neighbors if I suddenly started dragging pieces of furniture onto our beautifully manicured (but hardly ever used) lawn and started refinishing furniture there.  Here's a shot of my living room last Christmas.  It's pretty, but it's limited on space. (Ignore the cat on the sofa.  That's Max.  He's just trying to hypnotize you.)

So, instead, I did little pieces here and there.  This, for example: 

I did this chair as part of an art auction for our local symphony.  (What can I say?  Max likes to be featured.)  I'm not exactly a 'known' artist, but I've done a couple of these.  I have done a bit of art for children's rooms, as well, and I have a studio at a local pottery guild.  So I keep my hand in. 

But what I've always loved is home decoration.  Even when my resources were very limited, I could work out creative ways to make my home pretty and comfortable.  Anyone can do that.  But I've always wanted to take it to the next level. 

When my darling grandmother died four years ago, she left me a thousand dollar savings bond.  I sat on it for these last four years, unwilling to spend it just to spend it.  A thousand dollars is a lot of money to me, and holds a lot of possibility.  In July, I told MMM that I wanted to find a way to use Grandma's money to invest into something lasting.  Then I shared my dream.  I showed him Miss Mustard Seed's blog, and a number of others.  (I don't know Marian from MMS, but I know I'd love her.  Our dreams are certainly similar.)  I basically said that I wanted a little business, one where I could put my talents to work, one little furniture project at a time.  And MMM, bless his heart, said - "You could store that stuff in my shop and work there, too."  WHAT??!?!?  I was blown away.  Here he, in one fell swoop, acknowledged that he could see my dream and offered to give me a launching pad.  I have to tell you, there is nothing like having your dream sanctioned by someone who loves you and supports your dream with their own commitment.

And so - Voila!  Sassafras Salvation.

Watch me go!

Love ya,

Sass 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...