Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mirror, Mirror

Just a quickie post about a project I worked on during the past week.  I have long admired the lovely results that come from painting that horrible stuff they built furniture from in the 1970's.  They called it 'Syroco", like it was some exotic wood.  In truth, it was - let's all say it together - PLASTIC.  There's nothing worse than trying to imitate the beauty of wood in plastic, but that didn't stop the style arbiters of the 1970's from giving it their best shot.  They made a ton of it.  We left it to Generation X to figure out how to make it pretty.  I sure can't claim responsibility for that.  I spent two decades trying to keep it out of my house, no matter how affordable the castoffs became.  I practically had hives from remembering it in EVERYONE'S house when I was 14.  The last thing I wanted was for any of it to find its way into my home.  

But a little blogging provided the antidote.  Turns out, spray paint can cure the allergy.  I saw so many pretty befores and afters, with the horrible stuff painted, that I became something of a convert.  

I bought a mirror the other day, and set to work.  I don't have a before picture.  I'm sure that many of you have been previously damaged by having this stuff around.  I don't need to inflict further scarring.  But look at the after:


It's got a coat of Rustoleum's Colonial Red with a wiping of chocolate brown glaze.  And then, to upset your expectations, I set this thing on its head, turning it upside down.  I saw a mirror like this in a store somewhere, and they'd hung it upside down and the result was amazing. I think it completely takes you by surprise.  You absolutely know the original manufacturer intended the filigree detail to be on top, but it shakes the whole look up a bit, which I love.  

I am linking up over at:
Todays Creative Blog - http://todayscreativeblog.net/get-your-craft-on-link-party/
Katherine's Corner - http://katherinescorner.com/2011/09/15/new-at-katherines-corner-thursday-favorite-things-ho/
Miss Mustard Seed - http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/2011/09/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-link_15.html

Have you had your expectations shaken up a bit lately?

Love ya,

Sass

7 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your upside down mirror and it's sassy finish. I'm a fellow thrifter coming to you from All Things Thrifty. I'm also a newish blogger. Following you now and plan to pin your mirror on my Pinterest board. Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Ann. I'm not on Pinterest....yet. I'll be there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried making something old into something pretty... maybe I should give it a try. Your mirror is quite decorative

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kathy

    I love what you done with the mirror. Its just lovely! I found your blog on Katherine's corner. I'm glad I stop by.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy, love this mirror and upside down adds real interest to the piece. TFS. I've hopped over from Katherines Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your upside down mirror is quite charming!! I host a party on the weekends if you would like to come share sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Love the red.
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...