Sunday, September 11, 2011

Summer Can't End Yet!

I think I'd better explain our living situation a bit.  I live in a condominium by myself with two kitties, Max and Punky.  I've introduced you to the showoff that is Max.  He loves attention.  Loves it.  Punky?... less so.  In fact, if you're not a close friend with drop by privileges, you'd be unlikely to even realize I had a second cat.  She's black and uses her camouflage to hide under the bed if anyone new is in the house.

MMM lives in a house on an acre and three-fourths ten miles away. He has a yard and a deck and a garage and work space and lots of lovely things.  One of the things that I love about him is how he's arranged his life.  Let's just say I'm a sucker for integrity.  Some years ago, (long before we met) his dad died, and his mom was living alone.  Unsavory possibilities cropped up in her neighborhood, and her son found that untenable.  So, he and his wife sold their home; his mother sold her home; and they bought a home with an attached (but unfinished) mother-in-law apartment.  Shortly thereafter, without more excruciating and unnecessary detail, his marriage went to hell in a handbasket.  The apartment was still unfinished, and his mom has been living in the main house along with MMM.  Yes, it looks a little like a grown man living with his mom, but it's as much the reverse as anything, because he wants to be sure that she's taken care of.  If that's not integrity, I don't know what it is.  And in this day and age, I'm impressed by it.  Astonishing, I think.  The plan is to finish up the apartment (and there's movement on that front, so we're all very excited), and allow him to make a home of the main house.

In the meantime, maintenance on the house goes on.  This weekend, MMM got this bad boy out:











It's getting pretty late in the fall, and deferred maintenance can be deferred no longer if we're to count on Montana weather allowing us to accomplish a little something before winter comes with a vengeance. So, it was time to prep the deck for a coat of stain.  We cleared the schedule to powerwash the deck.

But 1800 pounds of water pressure per square inch?  Are you kidding me?
 


Nope, no one's kidding around when there are power tools involved.  The previous homeowner of MMM's house had apparently slapped on a quickie coat of paint or stain (Probably paint, now that I think about it.  I don't think that stain would have stripped off the way this stuff did.)



 Here's a nice shot of my MMM, hard at work.  This deck is 21' by 21', railed all around, with a double-ended step off into the yard.  This is not a sissy deck.  It's literally two or three outdoor rooms.  It's frickin' huge.  No small amount of work.  OK, and now you know that I'm also a sucker for seriously muscle-y calves, too.  I confess.



So, we powered away for nearly three days.  Really.  No.  Really!  MMM started in on Friday night after work, and then he and I worked on both Saturday and Sunday.  That lovely Husky Powerwasher was so easy to use.  And it took all that old loose paint/stain stuff, and all the dirt that was residing in the grain of the wood and just blasted it out of there.  It was amazing how much gunk came pouring out.  We tracked little bits of paint everywhere we went all weekend.  But tonite, it's done.  It needs a couple of nice hot days to dry out, so that the wood will accept the new paint/stain.  Not sure yet what MMM has planned, but I'll be sure to let you know when we've reached that point.  I suspect it's probably as time and labor intensive a job as prepping the deck, so there'll be time for plenty of pics.  I wish I had a better full shot of this deck, but I'll get you one when it's done and you can see it in all its refinished glory. 

Meanwhile, just look at what an amazing job this Powerwasher did on this deck.  If this isn't a fab before and after, I don't know what one is.  (Pretty sure I don't need to point out that the before is on the left, the after, on the right.)


I'm tickled.  The new deck set and the bamboo lounge area will look spectacular on this pretty renewed deck!

I'm linking to the linky party at The DIY Showoff's Project Parade.

Any last minute summer projects for you?

Love ya,

Sass

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's awesome! I can't wait to see more! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secretly hugging myself: Roeshel from DIY Showoff was my very first comment!! Squeal!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...