I am cooking for a crew this Thanksgiving, so I have a sizeable turkey. Somewhere in the range of 20 pounds. As of this morning, I set the turkey to brine. Here's how to do it.
1. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's or some other home center and buy a plastic five gallon bucket. Wash it out well.
2. Fill it about 4" deep with clean, cold water. Add two cups of salt, and stir until the salt dissolves. Now you have brine.
3. Rinse your turkey and remove the giblets, particularly if you simmer them to make giblet gravy.
4. Lower your turkey into the brine. Fill the rest of the bucket with water.
5. Feel very fortunate if you have a spare refrig to put him away for a day. That's what I did.
Thanksgiving morning, dump out the brine, give the turkey a light rinse and prepare it as usual. Brining is a great secret for adding juiciness and flavor to your holiday bird. Love, Sass