Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tam O'Shanter

A "tam o'shanter" is a Scottish-style hat, traditionally worn by men. As an example:


But I crocheted a little tam o'shanter (which, by the by, was named for a character in a Robert Burns poem), and I think it would look great on any girl.  Here I am, modelling it:




It was a quick and easy project.  Again, as usual, no pattern, because I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-girl when it comes to crochet.   But making a beret is extremely easy: beginning at the crown, single crochet around and around, adding stitches to increase and maintain the work flat - you don't want a peaked crown.  Then, when you've reached the circumference you want, start decreasing stitches until you reach the hat's opening.  When it will fit your head nicely, stop.  I changed yarn on the underside, going from solid brown to a nice blue/brown variegate.  Then I thought I would make a scarf to match.  It's nice and warm, and I think it will make a great Christmas gift for someone this year.

Do you think you'll make a few gifts this year?  Happy crocheting!

Love,

Sass

P.S.  Partying HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Your tam is fabulous! Beautifully done! I especially love the pompom on the back.


    In this week of Thanksgiving I especially want you to know how grateful I am to have you be a part of the creative spirit and camaraderie at Rook No. 17. Thank you for linking up to “A Little Birdie Told Me…”!

    Yours,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...