Sunday, November 13, 2011

Old School, New Cool #5

Better Homes and Gardens published this book in 1960.


When I found it in a thrift store, I nearly passed it by, but I spent a few moments leafing through the pages.  I was incredibly surprised to find that the home fashion trends of 1960 mirror almost perfectly the current home trends.  Consider, for example, a focus on the staircase as a lovely home feature.  Board and batten is going up, carpets are coming off, and other lovely features revealed with exquisite results.  So many bloggers have recently highlighted the staircase as a showpiece in their homes:

In My Own Style
Centsational Girl

The Henry Family Adventures

Take the Side Street
Sweet Chaos Home
Funky Junk Interiors

And of course here's one we'll always remember:

The HMS Titanic
Of course, to make my point, I have to show you BHG's 1960 star-quality staircase:


Is it to die for, even today?  And just for good measure, take a good look at that hanging light fixture.  I have seen plenty of folks re-doing their light fixtures to a reasonable facsimile of that one!  That beautiful settee!  Oh, it's just too much.  I love it, even 51 years later!

I tell you that everything that goes around, comes around again.  There are only New Cool ways to address Old School Style!

Love,

Sass

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I wish our staircase was more grand. But I do have a similar light fixture just waiting to be installed! ;)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...