Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Few Christmas Thoughts

Christmas was nice this year.  It was sweet, in that it's MMM's and my second Christmas, but our first as an engaged couple.  This has been our year to make memories that we can look back on many years from now.  It was a year full of change and growth.  Full of love and meaning.  Full of promise.  We are different people than we were a year ago.  We've grown a bond that we hope, with much focus and care, will only grow stronger as the years pass.  I have a few months to prepare for the actual wedding, but in my heart, I already feel so committed to him.  I am very blessed.

Traditionally, we open gifts on Christmas Eve.  This year, it was with MMM and his mom, with my daughter and SIL, and with four of my six grandkids.  There was an embarrassing wealth of gifts.  But it was lovely to spend the evening with them.
Anyone who has attended an online Christian college would wish for a night like this.

Earlier in the day of Christmas Eve, I sang with my church's worship team.  We had two services and, in the middle of each, I experienced a true moment of Christ's presence.  Our worship minister had chosen to make 'O Holy Night' a congregational hymn, rather than a solo.  So often, the congregation just gets to sit and listen to some highly skilled (or not so highly skilled) soloist sing this beautiful song.  But we sang it in unison.  And oh, it was lovely,

A thrill of hope,
The weary world rejoices......

Fall on your knees!
O - hear the angel voices!

We had candlelight - light passed from one congregant to another, spreading symbolically the light of the world....Jesus himself.  In a darkened church, with hundreds of candles held aloft, we sang

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright.

And for a few still moments, all was truly calm and bright.  Such inexpressible sweetness, making my heart swell with the truest meaning of Christmas - the coming of Jesus, the Savior of the world.



I hope that your Christmas was tender and full of meaning.

Love,

Sass



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...