Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sass Can Cook - Byrdhouse Ginger Beef Sandwiches


When MMM and I were first dating, I cooked him dinner, knowing that he was a real meat eating man.  By that, I mean red meat.  He'll down a little turkey or chicken now and then, but it's beef that really turns his crank.  Cooks know how important it is to cook recipes with ingredients people like. So, I found what looked like a really good recipe on All Recipes by Sunny Byrd, and tried it out.  It was a real home-run of a meal.  He asked about them a couple of times after that, but I didn't get back to that recipe until the other night.  His mom and I looked it up again, and it was just as good as I (and MMM) remembered.


By the way, if you haven't visited All Recipes, you really should run over there and take a look.  (I'm not being paid to say this, but I really enjoy that website.)  If I know what might be on sale at the grocery store, I can look up the ingredients and find a recipe that would work.  I can rank recipes by review - which I think is really the best part - and know what recipes work well for folks and read the reviews about what they liked and didn't like about the preparation.  Many times, reviewers weigh in with good ideas about how to make a recipe lower in calories or more flavorful.  


Back to ginger-y beef.............(By the way, I've altered the recipe a tiny tad.)


Here are the ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak  (I cut into this into thin strips while the meat was still partially frozen, making it easier to slice thinly.)
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 large celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon chili oil
  • 6 hoagie rolls
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak strips.  Cook them a few minutes until the strips begin to brown, but move to the next step while they are still a bit on the pink side. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.  Add the celery and ginger, continue cooking until the onion has softened, about 3 minutes. Season with soy sauce and chili oil. Fill the hoagie rolls and serve with some lovely green vegetables and salad. 

 


I hope you give it a try.  Maybe your meat-eatin' man would enjoy it, too!

Love,

Sass
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kathy

    This looks so yummy! I'll have to try it. Making my mouth water. LOL

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...