Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter's Arrival


I'm a little late in reporting this.  Needless to say, the next time Donna at Funky Junk Interiors reports that Chilliwack, BC, has a significant snowstorm, I'm going to pay better attention.  I'm pretty sure that we got that same storm, and it had plenty of POW! left in it.  On Wednesday, January 18th, we received record snowfall.  Apparently, Helena received 3.6 inches on January 18, 1885 (and believe me, Montana was pretty rough and ready back then; I'm frankly surprised anyone was keeping track of snowfall).  That record stood until last Wednesday, when we simply got dumped on!  We got between 10 and 14 inches of brand new powder.  You can imagine -  the skiers at Great Divide were happy beyond belief!


I drove to work, looking in amazement at the powder lying in on branches, topping mailboxes, atop cars that hadn't been garaged.  The snow just lay in fluffy depths.  There was no wind to speak of, so no drifting (thank goodness!  If you live in snowy climates, and have ever had to drive in the stuff, wind is the worst thing imaginable after a significant snowfall.)  I kept thinking how much I wished I had my camera with me.  I would certainly have gotten some better pics than these for you.  Instead, I had to settle for the camera in my phone, which makes the photo quality marginal.  But you can see how beautiful it is.


In case you're wondering (now, don't be a hater), these pictures were taken from the parking lot of the building I work in.  I tell you, I live in the most beautiful state in the union, and if your work parking lot looks this pretty, well, you must live in Montana, too.  In fact, in the photo above, the mountain that rises behind that house at center?  That's Mount Helena and the whole mountain is a city park.  There are many trails that wind all over and many lead to the top, where the entire Helena valley is spread below in all its beauty.  I've climbed it, as have most of my fellow Helenans, and I love the view.  I'm also very glad to get to the top, find a nice rock, relax, and enjoy my water!


The temperatures were low, too.  We were below zero a couple of nights.  These pickups were parked overnight in the parking lot, and I snapped away before I went inside. I wonder if they started after the cold. 

I shoveled my share of this.  And - guess what?  Just my luck - my car was stuck for a bit.  I managed to get sucked into a ditch.  In the dark.  Beside a busy road.  But, after much digging and rocking back and forth (drive, reverse, drive, reverse), I managed to get un-stuck.  

Yesterday and today, the weather is more temperate, and we're seeing some melting.  There will be lots of new snowmen on my way to work tomorrow.  Wonder if I should take my camera?

Love,

Sass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...